Monday


Don't Wanna Pick but....


Described as "looks to be mid 1800s" is this pair of silhouette from an auction. The man looks to be in the style of or after William Chamberlain. The lady seems to be a combination of period style. These may have been done during the "period" by an amateur. I believe the word "folky" is personal. For me these are just too folky or perhaps the proper is too "funky." Whatever they are, there is something there that attracts attention, not for its artistic merits, however. I think they are cute.

2 comments:

mrs. j.d. said...

I own the silhouettes, "dont wanna pick". I am a collector of hollow cut, puffy sleeve, and "loving likeness" images. It is all a matter of taste. The two images are superbly cut, appears to be a couple, husband/wife and probably put together after they were married, as the female is young. They are a great funky, folky, American Folkart pair, in my opinion, and not $5,000 pieces but..........The price plays a part in purchasing.

Antique Silhouettes said...

It is not the price that matters. We should all collect what we like.